Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Conscious Effort

I've been making an effort, over the past 6 months or so, to develop friendships. It's going good, and I'm enjoying getting to know the people I've been with. I've even begun to overcome my crippling anxiety about having people over to visit (slowly, yes..., very slowly).

A couple of weeks ago I happened to "catch" a friend online, who we had briefly met about 4 years ago, but had moved away shortly after. It so happens that she is in a nearby town for the month (nearby is a 3 hour drive). Well, we are going to go see her and her family (which includes an addition since we last saw them).

It's funny how excited we both are! Inside myself I'm like a little kid who gets to go and play at a friend's house! We're only going to see them for a couple of hours, but it will be worth it! Besides, I haven't been out of this town since last May, so a getaway will be great.

Who knows how a friendship will develop, or how long it will last, or if we will ever see that person again once we say "goodbye"? I've said enough "goodbyes" to last a lifetime. I hate them! That's probably why I have such trouble making friends.

I'm glad I've made a conscious effort to start new friendships and to develop deeper ones with the people I already consider my friends. It's healthy, it's fun, and it's rewarding.

Enjoy your week!

No comments: